Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Snow Storm

It lay there glittering in the sun and frozen
I dared not touch it, for I would freeze too.
How could I depart from the heart that was mine?
Now it was of the Earth, to retake it would be a form of death
And cold, very near impossible cold, to recover that piece
The snow claimed its token, and I nodded
Someone else would find where to carry this
Sterling in pocket, to new lands untold
It would make them grow the way I did
For I feared to attach it back to me, I wore it too long
With too much pride. Oh how their eyes glittered
Not understanding, or understanding too much, with a smile.
It took years to decipher, and now it was in the cold.

Copyright, 2010, Christopher Baird--all rights reserved.
Contact me for reprint/posting permission.

1 comment:

  1. HHow you can ever loose that which was always yours ...
    how can anyone ever take from you that which is you in its purest form
    The promise given could not be broken
    even though feeling like the heart is plucked from your chest
    still beating the newly found sweet song
    that familiar tune always heard right at the very core
    yet!! how can anyone keep that which never belonged to them?

    ReplyDelete